Pages

Labels

Monday, December 19, 2011

There's a Fossil In My Wassail

Here is a poem I wrote a while ago. The idea of it was spurred by an argument over the correct pronunciation of "Wassail". We determined that when pronounced correctly it rhymed with "Fossil". Thus, the poem.

There's a Fossil in My Wassail 
By Melody Beerbower, December 2011
Inspired by Stephen Olson

I was drinking from my mug
At a party on Christmas Eve,
When I felt something hard in my drink.
What a shock I did receive!
As I peered into my cup
There before my eyes
Appeared a something
That filled me with surprise.

"There's a fossil in my Wassail!"
I cried.
"Come and see!"
"That fossilized little eye
"Looks like its staring straight at me!"

Everyone gathered 'round
With a little shove and jostle,
Because no one had ever seen before
A wassail covered fossil.

Speculations ran wild about what it could be,
But the thing that puzzled me
Was how a fossil could get in my wassail.
It made no sense to me.
Fossil's can not move,
That's why I was surprised,
Because, after all,
A fossil's fossilized.

Everyone claimed to be Innocent
Of any foul play,
But it seemed to me
That someone was trying to ruin my holiday.

I examined the fossil closely
And thought that it might
Be a distant relative
Of a trilobite.
It could be from a T-Rex
Or something more colossal...
I'm not sure
All I know is there was

A FOSSIL IN MY WASSAIL!

  Oh, and in case you are wondering, you can correctly pronounce it wa-sayl.  I looked it up in the dictionary.  But had that been common knowledge, or had everyone pronounced it that way, I would never have written this poem. And that would be a loss to humanity.    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!