Pages

Labels

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Four on the Floor

Here is another poem for you.

Four on the Floor
By Melody Beerbower Oct. 24, 2012

If you tip your chair back
Someone's sure to say,
"Four on the Floor!
You can't sit that way!"

You need not get angry.
You need not make a fuss.
Just take a nice deep breath,
And explain it to them thus:

"If you care to take a closer look,
Four legs will you find.
Two of them are the chair's;
The other two are mine."


This is a much nicer and shorter version of a poem I wrote by the same title. (Actually if you want to get technical, this poem's ^ title is actually "A better Version of Four on the Floor", but I couldn't really keep it that title if people don't know what the first version is.)

Now some of you may be curious as to what the first version of this poem was, so I will save you the trouble of asking and post it bellow. If your curiosity is not aroused, by all means go and do something else. No one is forcing you to read my blog. At least, I sincerely doubt it...

Anyway, here is the original version. (Ha! Original as in, written about five minutes before the revised one.) You can decide which you like best and comment bellow. I know you all lead very busy lives, and I've probably already wasted more of your time than I should have, so I won't wait with baited breath, but I would be interested in what you have to say.


Four on the Floor
By Melody Beerbower, Oct. 24, 2013

I like to tip my chair back
And sit with two legs in the air,
But my teacher always fusses,
Saying, "I declare!"

"How many time must I tell you?
Keep four legs on the floor!
One of these days you'll tip too far.
Then you'll wish you'd listened more."

I always have an answer
Tucked away inside.
And if I had the courage,
This is what I'd reply:

"Teacher, you were the one who taught me math,
So would you greatly mind?
Count for me all the legs,
And tell me what you find."

"One. Two. Chair legs,
Planted on the floor.
One. Two of my legs
Resting there before."

"If you do the math correctly,
(As you will I'm sure!)
You will find as I did
Two plus two is four."


That is all for today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!