Pages

Labels

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reading Test

I began this poem some time in November I think. I found it today, finished it off, and polished it up. See how well you do on the Reading Test. 

Reading Test
(A poem to be read aloud)
By Melody Beerbower, 2-3-14

Here’s a test for those of you
Who think reading’s a piece of cake.
See if you can read these words aloud
And not make one mistake.

Love
Dove
Feed
Lead
Hive
Live
Speed
Read

Newer
Sewer
Grow
Bow
Pheasant
Present
Know
Sow

Fear
Tear
Sinned
Wind
Slumber
Number
Swooned
Wound

Now that didn’t take you very long,
But I bet you got half of them wrong.
Before you fuss or start to fight,
Read these sentences to see if you were right:

Tommy dove into a pool.
He sunk like a lump of lead.
He was fortunate to live,
At least that’s what I’ve read.

Once there was a sewer of cloth,
Who would always bow
When he did present a coat to buyers
Though it be made from the lowest sow.

When John got a tear in his arm
He tried to wind a cloth around it
As his fingers grew number
He realized just how tight he wound it.

                 ~*~

So how did you do?
Did you find that I was right?
Or did you spot the trick
With more than common insight?

Yes, I admit it was a trick,
So don’t tear my poems to tatters.
I’m just trying to show,
That context really matters. 

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you think!