Pages

Labels

Thursday, March 1, 2012

The White Camel of Camelot

It's hard to keep a blog.  And yes, I realize I have not posted anything in a long time.  But as no one's life depends on my posting something, and there are more important things to do in life than post goofy poems few people read, I have not made any zealous efforts to post.  Enough of that.  I'm here now, and I shall publish something.  I haven't written anything much lately, so I shall pull from my old store of writings.

 Let me take you back through the years to a time where knights were brave, maidens fair, and evil dukes abounded...

The White Camel of Camelot
By Melody Beerbower, October 5, 2010

It was long ago in a camel lot.
A dark, stormy knight and his maiden fair 
Searched for a camel in that lot,
All covered with snow white hair.


The moon was raised above the trees,
Spreading its silvery glow.
From a sky as vast as the sea,
It watched the fugitives down below.  

The danger was great and the search was long
So many camels were in that lot.
But close by the gate the white camel was found,
The greatest camel in the camel lot.


To the back of the camel the knight lifted his maid,
And kissing her hand implored,
“My dearest, please do not be afraid.
I’ll save you from that cowardly lord.”


Then he to mounted the camel’s back.
Down the road it started to trot.
It headed through the woods to a little shack,
Far from the camel lot.


Suddenly, there was a noise,
Like a mighty rushing sea.
“Oh no!” cried the maid, “We will both be destroyed.
“That’s Lord Rhup coming after me.”
 

“Fear not! He shall not catch us.
Fly on my glorious steed!
Kick up your heels! Let fly the dust!
What we need right now is speed!”



 The camel ran on with clumsy grace.
Lord Rhup’s stallions catching with ease.
Never was there such a slow race,
Weaving in and out of the trees.
 

It’s true the white camel’s the best in the camel lot’
If to go a great distance you need,
For endurance and strength— these things he has got,
But the thing that he lacks is the speed.


The moon looked down on the scene with wrath.
Who he was trying to help no one could tell,
For as he brightened the fugitives path,
He lit up Lord Rhup’s as well.
 

 Soon the fugitives came to a glen
Surrounded by massive trees.
They were also surrounded by Lord Rhup and his men,
When the white camel fell to his knees.

Angered the knight jumped from the camel’s back,
Drawing his glittering sword.
He shouted, “You shall not take the fair maiden back
That is my solemn word!’
 

Lord Rhup just smiled and looked at his men,
And all the bows he had there.
“I think not,” he said and smiled again,
As a dozen arrows were loosed through the air.


The dark knight and his maiden fair
Fell there side by side,
Killed by the arrows that flew through the air.
Together they lived. Together they died.


As the moon slipped behind the last rolling hill,
The knight came to an end. It was all for naught.
He and his maiden lay still,
Next to the white camel from the camel lot.   


That's all for today.
~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!