Pages

Labels

Thursday, February 14, 2013

February 14, Poem #31 English Teacher

Before you read this poem, I must point out that I did not have a specific English teacher in mind when I wrote it.

English Teacher
By Melody Beerbower, with special dedication to Winston Churchill from whom I stole a quote.

I had an English teacher.
She was very strict.
When we used poor grammar,
Off her it would tick.

One day she had enough,
And made us up to line.
She gave to us a talking
About grammar points so fine.

"There are important things,
About which we must talk."
Out flew her favorite weapon-
A white and gritty piece of chalk.

"When you write a sentence,
You must write it neatly.
When it's time to end one,
You must end it completely."

"That is why you must never, never
Under ANY circumstance,
End a sentence with a PREPOSITION
Believe me, this is not that advanced."

"Oh the things with which you struggle,
I don't know from where you get it.
If you think that this is something
You can get away with, forget it."

"At what are you laughing?
At what are you staring?
Have you no appreciation
For the wisdom I am sharing?"

"Now, down sit! Up look!
Pay attention to me!
I'm not done with you yet.
This is something to which I must see."

"This shall go on no longer.
Down I am putting my foot.
This is the kind of nonsense
Up with which I shall not put!"

"Every Kindergartener should know this.
I think down things they are dumbing.
It makes me start to wonder
To what is this world coming?"

Yep, that was my English teacher.
We loved her in spite of all that.
And sometimes I find myself wondering
Where in the world she is at.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!