Pages

Labels

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To Grieve or Not To Grieve

Don't expect this to be a profound post, because, well- it's not.  This is a poem I wrote attempting to prove to my sister I could write something profound- at ten O'clock at night.  She was skeptical about my ability to do so.  She was more or less right.


To Grieve or Not To Grieve
By Melody Beerbower, May 2011


Some people believe
(While others do not)
That you shouldn’t grieve
When someone is shot.

I guess it depends
(If you’ll permit me to say)
If their life it ends
Or if they go to the hospital for the day.

Some might point out
(While others might not)
If the person’s a lout
He may need to be shot.

I guess that’s one view,
(But believe me it’s not mine)
Of what you should do
When a lout’s life’s on the line.

Some may dispute
(While others may not)
That if you shoot
You have a right to be shot.

I guess this may sound strange,
(And I think it does)
Especially on a shooting range
Where that’s all one does

Some probably think
(And I would agree with the lot)
That these verses stink
And should promptly be shot.

I guess I must cease
(As soon as can be)
Least violence increase
And they try to shoot me

But if I am shot
(As shot I may be)
I wonder whether or not
You will grieve for me.

You see some people believe
(While others do not)
That you should grieve
When someone is shot.

Have a safe week, and be careful not to get shot.  You never know who will grieve for you.  Since I'm on this topic, here is another good piece of advice:
   "You should always go to other people's funerals, or they won't come to yours."  ~ Yogi Berra

2 comments:

  1. I like your poem (if not your punctuation)! And of course I am more than less right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only randomly use punctuation in poems.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!